Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Two 55ers

DESCRIPTION OF EXERCISE: "A fifty-fiver set in form is a close relative of poetry, while retaining the elements of fiction that make a good story. The form is outlined in the fifty-five word explanation I've written below: Make sure that your fifty-five word fiction adheres to form. Fifty-five words must form the ten sentences in order. The first sentence is exactly ten words long. Each following sentence is one word shorter. The last will contain one word. This could seem quite difficult. In fact, it isn't. It demands efficiency. It's simple. Right?"

1. I've crawled in too far, I realize much too late. I push backwards frantically, but I'm stuck too fast. Sharp stones jab into my side, my stomach. It's quieter than any night down here. Something cold trickles down my leg. Cave walls pinch my arms. Press into my legs. It's so dark. I scream. Trapped.

2. The soft scratching, scraping sound was coming from the kitchen. I stood in the entryway, staring at the refrigerator. I'm just paranoid, I thought, it's not moving. The sound continued as the fridge trembled. It's nothing, nothing, I'm imagining things. I inhaled slowly, steadying myself. Reached for the door. Gripped the handle. Opened it. Spiders.

No comments:

Post a Comment